Sunday, March 7, 2010

Homemade Laundry Soap

A friend of mine gave me a sample of homemade laundry soap. I LOVE it, so I thought I would hare the recipe. It turns out to be about $1 per gallon and works great. You can purchase everything at Fred Meyer:

LIQUID:
1/2 Bar of Fels Naptha Soap (finely grated-- cheese grater)
1/2 C Super Washing Soda (Arm and Hammer)
1/2 C Borax

In a large pan add 6 cups of water and grated soap. Cook on med-high until the soap is completely melted, stirring occasionally. Add washing soda and Borax, continue to cook until fully dissolved. Remove from heat and add 4 more cups of hot water-- stir until well mixed, while adding 1 gallon + 6 cups more water. Using a funnel, pour into plastic storage containers. Makes 2 gallons.

Let sit for about 24 hours before using. Shake well before each use. Use 1/2 C per load.

This is a low sudsing soap-- don't look for bubbles.

POWDERED
1/2 C Fels Naptha Soap (finely grated)
1/2 C Super Washing Soda
1/2 C Borax

Mix all of the ingredients together and store in an air tight container. Shake before each use.

Use on 1 TBS per load.

1 comment:

The Veals said...

I've been making my own laundry soap for over a year, my recipe is a little different, but I love it!