Sunday, May 31, 2009

Happy Memorial Day

Is there a more beautiful spot on this earth than at Grandpa Thornbrue's grave-sight?  I have not yet found one.  I was happy to see that there were not massive subdivisions built around the cemetery, it has been many years since I have been to Grandpa's grave.

We went with the Holmans and Ponds and helped to clean up around the grave stones and beautify the plots.



Yellow roses for Grandpa.  I remember that he loved the yellow rose.  I also remember that he loved NECO candies, he collected thunder eggs and had a huge coconut on the hearth.  I remember his belly that stuck out a little, but was hard when I sat on his lap backwards and punched it.  I remember the twinkle in his eye as he smiled.












I learned that the 2 Barnes sisters married the 2 Thornbrue brothers that are next to Grandpa's grave.  I did not know.

3 comments:

Lori Thornbrue said...

Thanks for the picture of what we would like to have done on Memorial day....
I can't say that I am 'sad' we have no graves here to go visit; as that is something I do not want; but I wish I could go to my dad's and dad's dads........and even my grandparents in I.F.
Love you

Michaelangelo said...

Merilee, thanks for these pictures! On Memorial day as we were driving back from camping I told Michael about how much I missed going to visit Grandpa's grave and how it was always our tradition and how the cemetery was so beautiful. It's been so long since I've been. It was GREAT to see these pictures!!

Alex said...

I like the full out moon in the 9th picture! JK... but my computer was so slow in loading the pictures that I couldn't help but only see it first.